Friday, February 6, 2009

Well...Ultrasound Results!

Are you curious about our ultrasound results? Did you have a hard time falling asleep last night because you were so excited? Did you wake up before your alarm went off this morning, positively itching for the day to begin? No? Just me then.

As you all know, I have been hoping against all possible hope that our next baby would be a girl. Almost my whole marriage, I have often found myself thinking about the things I learned as a teenager that I want to pass on to my girls. I go on and on in my head explaining the importance of wearing modest clothes and make-up, etc. I get pretty far into these discussions with these imaginary female descendants, until I realize that I don't have any girls, and there is a very good chance I will never have a girl. And though I have been blessed with just about every ardent desire of my heart, I could still work myself up to the point of eeking out a tear or two at the prospect of being girl-less forever. So you know my hopes...

But this morning I woke up with the feeling of certainty. It is a boy. I just know it. And he will be cute and blonde, and I will treasure him forever and ever. But for the second time in my life, my motherly intuition on gender prediction led me completely astray. See?



A GIRL!!!!!!!!


If you can't tell it (SHE!) is a girl from this picture, don't worry, you are not alone. But the ultrasound tech was quite convinced, and she typed those little letters in the left corner "GIRL" that mean so very much to me today, so I believe her!

Wanna see some more pictures? Warning: it looks like her head is about to pop off because her neck is so kinked, but the ultrasound chica assured me over and over that she is, in fact, okay and normal.


Profile of head, chin to chest. Cute, huh?

Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes, knees and toes...and look at those little fingers!
Are you shocked! Are you stunned into silence? I was. If I had been less excited to find out it was a girl, I would have shouted "yea!" right there in front of the doctor and everything. But I was SOOOO excited, I couldn't talk--I couldn't say a word. The tech must have thought we were hoping for a boy. For the second time this pregnancy, I just couldn't express my happiness with words and just let the tears roll down. (Read about the first time here.) I feel like I just won the gold medal at the olympics. Every simple, normal, little life is entitled to just a little bit of absolutely exceptional joy, and today was one of those days for me.
Thanks to everyone who prayed for us!
You're prayers are darn effective, I must say...now start praying for peace in the middle East, ok?

13 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Ah! I am SO excited for you! You have your little girl! Now you can buy bows and dresses and everything pink! Yay! Also glad to hear that she is healthy and that everything is looking normal and good.

YAYYYYY!!!!!!!

Julianne said...

I am so happy for you guys. You will so enjoy a little pink and spice in your life. :) Little boys are certainly precious and wonderful, but there is just something about a baby girl. I'm glad you will get to experience this!

Michelle said...

Congratulations! I just discovered you had a blog yesterday! I was so excited to log on today and see your announcement. I am happy for you and your family.

Ashley said...

EEEK! I'm so stoked for you, I could just spit!! Whatever that means!

I won't lie, I'm excited for me too. This little girl and Kendra are going to be so tight!

EEEK!

Danielle said...

Those are some cute little cheeks on that GIRL of yours. Congrats!!!

Kristina said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! We are so excited for you. We have been saying that if anyone deserves a little girl it is you (and if she is cute and blonde too then that is great :P )

Jacqueline said...

What an adorable ultrasound. She looks so cute and so well developed. Can you believe inside that itty bump of yours is such a well developed and adorable girl!!!?

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

Lybi!!! I'm so excited for you!!!

By the way, I love the picture of your boys at the top of the blog. They look so much like you! :o) You are definitely a fun mom for boys... but you will have SO much fun with your little girl. (YEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!)

Catherine said...

I am soooo excited for you. How FUN! Congratulations. And, can I say....I HAD NO IDEA YOU HAD A REG. BLOG. I only knew about your running blog. I was just on Danielle's and I saw your name. I am so excited to be able to keep up to date on your lives. And, I love the pic in your header. very cute. DId you take that?

Laura said...

Miracles never cease! Now, do you think we'll have... a boy next?!?!? Hmmm. We'll see. :) Congratulations again!! I can't wait to see what a little girl looks like - all I can envision are your cute boys.

Unknown said...

Wow! Those are amazing profile shots, and your little legs and arms! And you are just barely showing. Such a tiny perfect little girl in there! :)

Call me tomorrow if we have a miss. meeting. It's Wes's day at church...

Grandma Beanie said...

Congratulations Lybi! This is such exciting news. You deserve it all.
Aunt Geneen

Unknown said...

Lybi! Did you get the photos I sent through YouSendIt.com? If not, I may not have your right e-mail address...